gave his hometown sweetheart an engagement ring from the U. S. Naval Academy in 1945. They were married June 6, 1946 until her death November 22, 2007. They deserve for the ring, a tangible symbol of their dedication to country and family, to stay in the family and be passed down to grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Instead, it was stolen from my jewelry box by a stranger I hired to clean my house then, naively, left unattended for three hours. My deliberate refusal to lower myself by believing someone might be dishonest backfired on me.

I know it was stolen because I had gotten it out of my jewelry box to try it on then, because it was too tight, immediately returned it to jewelry box. Four days later, after the maids had been there, it was gone. 

Out of the 32, 349 pictures on my computer, these blurry pictures of it on Mom's and my hands are the only images I have.







 



This is the best picture I have of it. That's Mom hugging one of her best friends, Mary Cary Carver, when Dad was released from jail, as he referred to the POW camp. Her radiant smile is infinitely more beautiful than the diamond.

Comments

Popular Posts