Jamestown Exposition's Illinois House


This is the house we lived in from 1973-1977 when I was 16-19. The two windows on the top right were my bedroom windows. 

I bought the postcard on eBay. It commemorates the world's fair-like event that took place in Norfolk in 1907. Somewhere along the way, the houses became military housing. By the time we lived in it, an addition had been built on the right side - a porch that ran the width of the house, upstairs and down.

I wasn't happy about moving from Va. Beach to Norfolk. The two cities are right next to each other but it meant I'd have to change schools. I guess Mom wanted to surprise me with the grandeur of our new home because when I asked what it looked like, she told me, "It has a small front yard." Yes, it did, but Wow, what a house. 





Michael took me by there a few years ago. It's still magnificent. He pointed out that the current adult residents are younger than we are. Ouch.


https://www.pilotonline.com/news/article_e4733415-ce70-5a43-91aa-cb0e95da66e9.html

https://www.militarynews.com/norfolk-navy-flagship/news/navy_history/historic-homes-commemorate-beginnings/article_987cd8fd-0bbf-5d31-996d-758c3d7694ec.html

Comments

Popular Posts