Mary Belle and Dad


Posted by PicasaAn  important event I've been remiss in reporting is that my dad remarried in July.  His wife, Mary Belle Bordone, is a longtime friend of the family, but one whom we'd not seen in many years.  I can't think her name without remembering how much my mother admired her and admired the fact that she goes to Mass every morning.  In fact, if I
remember correctly, when I was a little girl and my dad
was a prisoner-of-war, my mother told me that Mary Belle went to Mass and prayed for him and the other POWs every day.  Mary Belle's husband, Dick, was a close friend and shipmate of my dad's on the USS Independence. Capt. Bordone had also been shot down, but rescued, during the Vietnam war and passed away several years ago, at about the same time as my mother.   They had very good-looking sons and daughters.  Their sons, Mike and Bobby, played Little League in King's Grant.   All the junior high aged girls threw themselves at those handsome Bordone boys.  I was among the shameless and Kim, enthusiastic, but more restrained, was right there with me.  I'm very happy for my dad that he has such a kind, lovely, funny, warm, spunky wife.  

Comments

Unknown said…
I just taught my 8th graders about your father and was curious about his life and so went searching and found your blog. Thank you for writing this entry. Your father was an amazing person. I am glad he was able to spend those last years with Mary Belle.
Thank you for the comment. My dad's story is important and I appreciate your remembering it and passing it on to your students.

Popular Posts