A pause to reflect

My head is bursting with so much emotion, excitement, and information that I don't know how to begin to record my experiences in Paris.  The overriding impressions have been whirlwinds of elation and awe.

The most amazing day was the one in which Elissa, Matt, and I had private tours (of areas not open to the public) of the Petit Trianon, Marie Antoinette's theatre, the Versailles chapel in which Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI married and other parts of Versailles.

My favorite days were probably the first and last when I was totally alone, free to explore, and discover sites of powerful significance to me, at my own pace.  Oh!  The day it snowed was the best day ever.   To walk on the cobblestones in the neighborhoods of figures about whom I know and care so much and see the historic sites that are powerfully significant to me has truly been breath-taking.  And, some of it in the snow!  I shake my head in amazement that I was so fortunate.

I loved spending time with Michele, my friend / a sister-in-law, especially last night when we talked over a lovingly prepared home-cooked meal (not by my hands!).

I love my hotel.  The staff has been so patient and encouraging with my attempts at French.  One of them, Patricia, said I'm "charming" when I speak French. That's one word for it.  Some of my favorite times have been in Hotel L'Academie, in my quaint room, relaxing and doing whatever I want to do.  Some of my very, very favorite times.

I love the boulangerie down the street and appreciate their warmth, encouragement, delicious food, and the fact that they are open until midnight.  I bought food there every day, because it was good, and because it allowed me to take food back to my hotel, rather than be forced to order and eat in a restaurant.

Tomorrow, I head home where Terry and my dogs are waiting and Micah will be arriving for
Spring Break tomorrow.  Next week is going to be special.

I'll be back.  Me and my thousand photographs.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so glad the universe brought us together. It was Marie Antoinette don't you think? I'm so happy that you had an amazing time and are leaving with many memories. I expect there will be many more to come! Safe travels back to Houston.

Hugs,
Elissa
Micah said…
I can't wait to hear about every delicious moment! I'm incredibly happy for you and incredibly proud of you for taking the much-deserved time for yourself to take this trip. And beyond this specific journey, which was clearly very special, I love how passionate you are about all things French. From Rosetta Stone to your blog to the countless books you've read on the subject - you've immersed yourself in this world completely. I know it's always been a connection and a tribute to your mommy, but it's also become something that's just about you and your journey, and you really deserve that. I'm so impressed.

And Elissa - I hope I get to meet you sometime! I've heard wonderful things!

I'll see you in about 16 hours, Mummy!

Lots of Love,
M

Popular Posts