Forget Me Not



As I was obsessively looking at family pictures today (it's a weekend, that's what I do), I noticed these dishes. Mom gave me several serving pieces of this china a long time ago. I don't know what happened to the plates from the set - wasn't even totally sure we'd had any. This picture, taken on my 11th birthday, cleared up part of the mystery. We did have the plates. I still don't know what happened to them, though.

Last Mother's Day, I found the plates on eBay and bought a whole set - including little fruit bowls, as if I'd ever need them. Even though I have half a dozen sets of dishes (more, actually), and don't cook all that much, I had to have that set. The pattern name is "Forget Me Not." I had no choice.




 

It's fun to look in the background of old pictures. I liked the Dutch door over Jimmy's left shoulder. It led to the screened in porch and the top half could open independently of the bottom. Reminded me of a horse's stall. Jerry bought us the clock to the right of the door when he started earning money in the Army. (He figured out, and told us in his first letter, he was making .17 an hour.)

I'm pretty sure Jerry has that bass at his house today. It's at least fifty-five years old and looks it. It reminds me of Dad's story about Joshua, the one that got away. 

Oh, and I loved that formica floor. The pattern was small squares, about 1" square, in varying shades of rust, brown, and gold. The squares in the pattern were offset from each other. 

Wait a minute. If this picture was taken in March of 1968, could Jerry have bought that clock with his Army money? Did he give it to us or have I been giving him credit for it, in error?


I'm certain Jerry gave these skates to Mary Beth. That's pure joy on her face! (Jerry gave me the electric blanket in the background.)

Comments

Popular Posts