Magnifique

Having said that we don't usually stay in fancy places when we travel, I'll post this picture of the beautiful hotel in which we stayed in Mobile last weekend. Even Terry, who's not averse to sleeping in airport hangers, dormitory style hostels and tents, was glad we stayed there. The whole weekend was glorious in every way. We drove my car and, unexpectedly, Terry loved that, too, though he usually prefers to fly. The Battlehouse Hotel is sentimental because my father's mother worked there as a secretary for 32 years and his two aunts lived there before it closed down, was shuttered up for years then was renovated and re-opened by Marriott. So, now it's sentimental because it is run by Marriott for whom Edward works, as well. He had the opportunity to be the manager but didn't want to leave Virginia. Can't blame him for that but it sure would be cool for him to manage the hotel where his great-grandmother used to work. The renovations are spectacular. Marriott emailed me a customer survey afterwards and my responses were so positive they may send me a complimentary visit. Probably not. The purpose of our trip was to attend the ceremony, honoring my dad, at the USS Alabama battleship. Returning to Al was emotional for all of us, after visiting Mom and Dad there for so many years, plus the Navy stuff is always emotional and getting to see relatives that we don't see enough was emotional (in a very good way.) The only thing that marred my trip was my broken camera because now I'll have to rely on my memory for recollections and images and I can't even remember this morning clearly.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

S. said…
What a lovely hotel! It was the perfect place to stay for the honorable and memorable event. Remember, treasured moments should be put in your scrapbook as well as on your blog. (Hugs).
Anonymous said…
And now for the rest of the Battle House story...along with our beloved grandmother Irene's half century of service, our family is also connected to the Battle House through it's founding owner and namesake, John Battle. He was the first husband of Namama's grandmother, our 3rd great grandmother, Mary Madeleine Clitheral. Upon John Battle's passing, Mimi wrote that this 3rd GGmom's wealth was lost by a son-in-law, after which she remarried Harvey Ellis Jones, creating the line from which we descend. Sadly, however, this connection no longer merits any overnight family discounts! :-)
Michael
Yay! Michael posted on my blog! It says "Anonymous" but he can't hide from me!

Popular Posts