Norfolk Catholic High School, 1958

 


"With six schools closed by the Governor of Virginia, Norfolk Catholic High School is going into its fourth year of integration..."

I graduated from Norfolk Catholic High School. I moved there from First Colonial High School, in Virginia Beach, halfway through my junior year. There were 1200 in my FC class, as I recall, and about 100 in my Catholic class. Even though some of the kids at Catholic had gone through parochial schools together since kindergarten, they were very nice to me. I was more well-suited for a small school setting and really liked it. 

Anyway, I happened to see the picture above on FB years ago and bought it. 



It was a grand old building with big dark wood handrails going up the stairs. Beautiful place. It's a shame they tore it down. 

We were allowed to leave for lunch. I think we were allowed to smoke on campus. At least I did (Marlboros, thank you) and don't think I hid it. I don't recall being particularly secretive smoking pot on the football field either, for that matter.  Once, we were sitting out there eating lunch, as we often did, and some kid streaked across the field,. It was a fad. I don't remember his name - tall guy with blond hair. I can picture his face... Not Kevin Terry, who also fit that description.  Anyway....




I don't know where I got this picture, nor who is in it, but it was in my computer. Before my time.



This is Tricia, my best friend from Catholic. My brothers call her Trish the Dish. Good as gold. She's probably fixing me a Pepsi and a bowl of her mother's macaroni salad, our cure for a hangover.

Comments

Popular Posts