I can't get no-oh sat-is-fac-tion.

For several days preceding Hurricane Sandy's arrival in NY, I tactfully suggested to Micah that it might be a good idea to pick up a flashlight and, just to be safe, a couple of gallons of water.  I sent her a link  to a weather forecast with preparation recommendations, etc., which she accepted gracefully, saying she was sure she'd be fine and didn't need to do anything special.  Her roommate filled the drinking cups with water and put them on the kitchen counter and there was some mention of a beer purchase.  I sat back and smugly waited for the glorious moment when I'd be able to whisper "I told you so." - not in so many words, mind you, because she's got a long reach and the distance from Texas to NYC isn't as great as maps make it seem.  I'm still waiting.  Damned if hers isn't the only dorm on the entire NYU campus that has a still-operational generator.  NYU is providing free meals (Now my daughter can stop eating out of trash cans or however she's surviving now that she can't eat leftovers off the plates of her students' free and reduced lunches like she did when she was teaching last year.), classes are cancelled for the whole week, and celebrities are starting to drop by to mingle.  (Micah took this picture of Alec Baldwin at lunch today.) Her cell phone service, unlike that of many of her friends, hasn't been affected by the storm either.  I thought I might get some satisfaction (small consolation since it would've hurt me more than it would her) when Laguardia closed down and it looked like her much-anticipated trip home this weekend might be affected.  She even managed to score on that, because United let her switch her reservation to Thanksgiving week without changing the price of the $258 ticket.  She wasn't even going to be able to come home for Thanksgiving, because the ticket price was an outrageous $800+, so I'm very excited about that turn of events.  David will be here, too, and it's going to be a wonderful holiday!  And a very satisfying one.

Comments

Popular Posts