My Catholic upbringing is certainly a factor

From my mother's diary: May 24, 1966 "Today Madeleine was confirmed. She looked sweet despite poison ivy on her face.
The new church was consecrated at that same time. Fr. Lloyd was there. He was so nice to us. Madeleine chose Ann for her confirmation name. I got her a pretty statue of the Blessed Mother from her Daddy and me." The new St. Nicholas Catholic Church in King's Grant was not nearly as cool as the old one which was an old white wooden one. I barely remember it but do remember listening to my Dad sing a solo there shortly before he left for Vietnam. I've been gone from Virginia Beach for a long time but went back to St. Nicholas to attend my mother's memorial service. Either it was gutted and remodeled or my memory is completely off because it felt like a completely different place. I chose Ann for my confirmation name because it was about as plain as it could get. I was self-conscious that my real name was so long and unusual.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

kimmy coleslaw said…
Wonder if we were confirmed at the same time? I'm gonna have to check on that because mine was in the new building at St. Nicks as well. Your memory is not failing my dear Mal - the church has been remodeling from it's original state when it was new. Not sure when, but it was already done when Noel got married there and that was over 15yrs ago! The senitiment that you and Mary both gave to your mom - I cross stiched the same for my mom & Barry's mom - buried them both with the picture. I love the sentiment - it's so true.
Who has your childhood family photos? Maybe there's one in there of your confirmation. It could've easily been the same year but I don't remember you being in my CCD class. That was a couple years before we met, I think. How did we meet anyway?! It seems like I've always known you. Mrs. Tanton's 5th grade class? As for your embroidery, that just brings tears to my eyes.
kimmy coleslaw said…
Photos are still at the house - mother never kept very good scrapbooks - funny you should ask -Denny is in Israel and I told my sister this morning I was going over to the house and "stealing" pictures from the chest where mom kept them !!! I know we were in Mrs. Tanton together - that would have been 5th - maybe that's where we meet - seems like I knew you before though - I will have to investigate and I was in CCD and for some reason I do remember you being in there - Sister Margarite I think? I'll do some invesigating - Love you lots

Popular Posts