Lasting Impression

Last night, my friends Karen and Jeff (pictured with Astros player) and I were talking about how the most offhand compliment can be remembered and significant, to the recipient, years and years later. Has that happened to you? Of course it has. So, leave a post and tell us about it. For instance, I was about 15, walking down the empty main hall at First Colonial, and a cheerleader, whose name I've forgotten (but whom Kim will remember... she was blond, her mom drove a bus and she lived in that neighborhood across Lynnhaven Rd. from Eastern Park) said "Hi Madeleine." I know it seems especially needy and pathetic but the fact that this girl knew my name made me feel important and, as a result of her greeting, I make it a point to call students by name . It is important that they be called by their correct name bc it works both ways! Also, Mrs. Kirkpatrick, who was, at the time, a counselor at FC, called me in and said she wanted to know why my grades were so low when I had such a high IQ. Apparently this was before counselors had heard of low self-esteem. I can name several of you who've already heard this story and expressed serious doubts that it ever happened! There's a really good chance I imagined it bc that incident is the sole memory I have of Barbara Kirkpatrick being a counselor at FC! Regardless, the imagined comment has sustained me many a time when I felt stupid. (Most recently when I got lost en route to Karen's house - again- last night, even though she is one of my closest friends and I've been to her house many times. Give me a break. First of all, have you driven in The Woodlands? Every intersection is wooded and looks the same and almost every street name is tree-related. And, there are several ways to get to her house and I've tried them all. And, plus, I was on the phone with Mary at the time. Anyone could've gotten turned around, dammit.) One of my other remembered compliments was when a counselor at at Norfolk Catholic told me I was "perceptive." I've believed it ever since. Although, at the time, in his small office, I got the creepy feeling he was hitting on me. Does it seems like I spent a lot of time with counselors? Not true. Actually, these are only two times I remember talking to a school counselor. Counselors are just especially memorable and influential. Apparently, I'm drawn to them. I work for one now. Of course, this phenomenon works both ways. Hurtful comments can be remembered forever, too. Like the time the classmate at St. Joseph's said, in front of the whole class, the day JFK (before you were born, Karen!) died, that he wished it had been me. It still hurts to this day. Actually, I'm totally kidding. Doesn't hurt a bit. But, I am searching for that little punk on the Internet and I'll deal with him when I find him. JK.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts