Tie down the shrimp boats

How many times have we seen this sight on Fowl River? Makes me think of Forrest Gump. Oh yeah, here's why Winston Groom dedicated the book to George Radcliff: The author was, or at least thought of himself as, kind of nerdy and on the outside in high school. George moved into town and was a big sensation in his new school - charismatic, popular, and a performer in a professional water ski show, kind of like the water ski version of the Ice Capades. George befriended Winston and was his doorway into the "in crowd". The dedication, paraphrased, says "to George Radcliff (and someone else, whom I've forgotten) who are kind to the Forrests of this world." There's surely more to the story and, like most stories I tell, maybe I got it all wrong, but that's the gist of it, as told by Marion last time I saw her. Usually I take notes when people tell me stories so I can refer to them when I doubt my own memory, but I didn't have a pencil and paper at hand. I guess that charm and likeability are two of the reasons Marion ran off and married George, causing a stir in the family. As previously noted, she's been known to cause a stir :) She was always an idol of mine. She taught me to smoke when I was about 12 or so. Ah, yes, I remember it, as if it were yesterday.... She said, "Look how much prettier the smoke looks when you inhale". (Appearances are everything, no matter the cost!) Trips to Mobile were more educational than Mom realized, at the time. Two other cousins taught me to drink on that same trip.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts