In Irene's kitchen

This breakfast nook will bring back memories. I took the picture when Terry, David, Micah and I visited my grandmother, Irene, in, maybe, 1991 or so, judging from my children's ages. Sweet Irene had served them orange juice. I hope Leo or one of his kids has this cute table and chairs. They must've spent a lot of time in that kitchen. Did it look the same when Dad was growing up there? I love the louvred shades, red salt and pepper shakers, tile on the wall and the, what is now, retro wallpaper. Bright and cheery. As noted previously, the back yard had a pretty garden and a fascinating fish pond. And a swing. And the bricked in front porch with it's hanging plants and swing. The living room had something visiting grandchildren really thought was amazing. An aquarium built into the wall. It must've been filled in sometime along the way because I don't remember seeing it when I went back as an adult. Irene had a toy poodle that she loved. Someone will have to remind me of his name, a male's name maybe? I do remember that he was a bit temperamental! Maybe a Napoleonic Complex. When I was about eight or nine, Irene mailed me a book by Jacqueline Susann, who was a romance writer, about her toy poodle and their life together in New York City. I was so flattered that she thought of me and went to the trouble to send it to me. I loved the book, too. Ms. Susann wrote about how the dog gave her a "shiv paw" whenever he wanted anything, which I guess meant he pawed her. I read a similar one, a true story, a few years ago about a newly widowed non-animal lover, a gossip columnist in NY, whose friend had unexpectedly sent her a tiny yorkie to keep her from being lonely. She fell in love with him, named him Jazzy and took him everywhere. I think Katherine who loves books and small dogs (and harmless gossip!) as much as I do, would enjoy them, too. The James Herriott series is great for animal lovers, too, by the way.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts