Don and the things he taught (teaches) us

This isn't the clearest picture I have of Don but I like it. It was taken at our parents' house within a few years of their moving to Fowl River. Since he always used a wooden salad bowl, expertly rubbed with garlic, he must not be making the salad here but you get the idea. I thought he was so cool when he worked at a restaurant especially since he allowed us a glimpse of the underbelly of the business by telling us that his restaurant took rolls from the bread basket on recently vacated tables and put them straight into baskets on the next table filled. It's funnny the things one remembers about their older brothers. Didn't bother me at the time - seemed reasonable. Don has lived in more countries than any of us, often leaving right before revolutions or the collapse of government but I don't think any of that was related to his leaving. He lived in Saudi Arabia, Afganistan, Iran back when they were more (American) family-friendly. And Spain. And a couple of places whose names escape me. We were all so glad when he moved back to Philadephia and stayed for awhile. He broadened his horizons and has gone on the expand the minds of hundreds of students as he's taught them about the world through the collections purchased during his travels. He may or may not have shrunken heads and such in this collection. I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but I do know that a friend of mine that I met in Texas was friends with Don in Saudi Arabia and she has a picture of him dressed in a tribal costume that consisted wholly of mud and a few sticks. And, what an artist and sculptor. The painting he did of Mom for her birthday and the one of the river that he did for Dad on his birthday are amazing. And the sculptures of the lovers and the thinker. Wow. And, where are those now, I wonder? We need to make sure they're in a safe place because I haven't seen the "lovers" one lately. It was Don who originally introduced us to Bob Dylan, I think. Bob Dylan was an integral part of my childhood. Don is probably the Denton boy with the least expressed but no less strongly-held opinions. Doesn't say much compared to his brothers but he's thinkin' all the time. Don is gentle, patient and kind and I love him. He and I have a deep conversation in our future, that we keep promising ourselves, and I'm going to try to make it happen when we see each other in July.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts