Here's to Friendship

Among the correspondence that my mother gave me that she'd written to her parents while she was living in France when I was born, there is a postcard in which Mom wrote of her regret that her friend was leaving for the States. The friend to whom she referred is Doris Beatty, pictured here in the center, next to my mother on the right. They remained close friends for fifty more years through many moves and many changes. I was grateful to see Doris at Mom's funeral last Dec., and comforted by the her presence and that of other "old" family friends. That kind of friendship is hard to find and my parents were fortunate to have it with others, as well. Those family friends, the Kirkpatricks, Beattys, Kitty, Wengers, Sullivans, Carvers, Janie come to mind and there are others. Not to mention their childhood friends whom, because we didn't grow up in Mobile, we children didn't have the chance to get to know but whose names are part of our family history, adding depth and richness to our lives.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Micah said…
I'm so glad that you are writing all of this down (you're a very good writer, too). These pictures are such a fitting monument to your mom and really important to keep up with.
Oh, Micah, oh, Micah, you make my heart sing!!
grandydenton said…
To be a friend of Jane's was more valuable than diamonds, gold and silver combined, and much more treasured..Jane was more than my sister-in-law, she was my friend....Uncle Leo / Grandy
My mother spoke so highly, so lovingly of you, Uncle Leo. Thank you for your kind words. They warm my heart.

Popular Posts