Driveway at the River

Baby David, my mother's mother, Mamie Clarke Maury (Mimi) , my father's mother, Irene Steele Denton, whom my siblings and I called "Irene," unlike her other (well-behaved, respectful) grandchildren who called her "Grandmother." Flanked by Terry and me. The picture was taken in Fall of 1984 or Spring of 1985. Looks like Fall. I was just thinking of one of the times Irene visited us in Virginia when I was about 8 or so. First of all, she was the only visitor to arrive by train which was exciting and left me with a lifelong desire to ride on a train, in a cabin with a little bed that folded down from the wall. I thought that was the most clever invention. During her visit, she tried to give me a $5 bill as a gift. I demurely declined and she offered it again and I said "oh, no, I couldn't" again. She offered once more and I said, "No, really." She insisted a couple more times and, just as I was planning to give in, she stopped asking. I had refused one time too many. I couldn't believe my tactical error. Of course, I wanted, and intended to accept, the $5 all along but didn't want to seem greedy. I decided, then and there, that playing hard to get wasn't for me! Mimi visited maybe even a little more often than did Irene. I remember once, probably in the 60's, when my mom told us, en route to the airport, not to tell Mimi that one of my brother's had a beard and long hair. He was off , safely concealed, at school and Mom wasn't anxious to let her well-bred mother know exactly how out of control her uncouth little brood had become! Of course, it was the first thing out of Mary's mouth as soon as she saw Mimi! I don't remember Mimi having a negative reaction. She probably knew my mom had her hands full up there in Virginia. Which is certainly why Mimi always parted with the reminder to be sure and help my mother. Which, of course, I didn't. I continued to be a wonderful source of pleasure and joy for my mom... climbing out of my bedroom window, scaling the dogwood tree, and slinking around the dark streets of King's Grant with all manner of inappropriate friends. In the end, it was alright. Mom got a lot of laughs, all in retrospect, at the troubles we caused her.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

grandydenton said…
Madeleine, I loved your story about my mother trying to give you $5.00 when you were 8 years old...And the story of you, a little older, climbing out your window, and down the the dogwood tree, to be with friends...In high school after a dance, I came home very, very late, in fact the sun had risen, and my mother caught me climbing in a back window, not wanting to wake her up..When I was struggling half-way through the window, she was standing there watching me..She didn't know whether to laugh or cry..LOL !!! I didn't either..LOL !!!!! Uncle Leo
I guess every generation pulls the same tricks! When I was about 17 and lived on the navy base, I had a fire escape up to my bedroom window which I regularly used to facilitate a silent entrance when I was coming home too late. Once, I was stealthily easing the window up and heard my mother say "Who is that?" She was sleeping in my bed. Fortunately, she wasn't armed. Eventually, she nailed that window shut. To prevent Michael from escaping under the cloak of darkness to visit his girlfriend who lived next door.

Popular Posts