Mary Berry

Here's Mary Elizabeth, who looked just like Katherine Elizabeth, who looked just like Elizabeth Winship. They were all adorable babies. Even though the original cookie made from that cookie cutter was James Steele. It probably goes back farther than that but I haven't seen pictures of any others. This picture was taken at Princess Anne Country Club when Aunt Madeleine and Janie McPhillips were visiting. Yeah, we were uptown that day. We didn't normally hang out at the Country Club but the Mobile relatives were staying there. Mary's bathing suit was a dusty blue, waffle-weave fabric and there are several really cute pictures of her wearing it, the cutest of which is the one where she's smoking a cigarette that Jimmy gave her. Hey, if I can remember the fabric of my little sister's bathing suit for more than forty years, I'm probably right that Jim gave her the cigarette. I don't remember what we ate that day (probably peanut butter and jelly from home) but when Tricia and I somehow weasled our way past the lifeguards checking membership cards, in high school, we ate toasted club sandwiches with a wedge of dill pickle on the side. Tricia said that was how she wanted to live when she grew up. (By they way, she just came to visit me, with her boyfriend, Raleigh, en route to fulfill another dream of her's - they went on a cruise. ) Before this post went off-course, I intended to say how much I love my little sister, Mary. She's as precious today as she was on this innocent summer day.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Jeanne said…
Hello,
I am searching for my friend from Green Run in Va. Beach Va Mary Berry.
I apologize if this is someone you do not know, however I am relentless in my search for my best friend! She graduated from Princess Anne High in 1981. I was her best friend Jeanne Pulley when we were 10 years old.
Please let me know!
Thanks!
Jeanne
Jeanne, I don't know your friend, but if you haven't already checked on the fb groups "I Grew Up in Virginia Beach" and "Once Upon a Time: Growing Up in Virginia Beach," you should. Someone is bound to know her. There's at least one more VB fb group, but I don't remember the name. You can do a search, though. I hope you find her!

Popular Posts