Uncle Jake

The many faces of Jake Denton. Pictured on the far right, with his brother, Edward (center), who is holding his (Edward's) baby daughter, Elizabeth Winship Denton. On the far left (no pun intended), we have my brother, Jerry, who is Jake and Edward's dad. Jake is wearing a VA-75 squadron hat - my Dad's squadron. Edward, by the way, is a great Daddy to Elizabeth, who's almost 4 now, and her baby sister, Anabelle. Not to divert from the Birthday Boy, but another side note... Elizabeth Winship is named after Jake's and Edward's mother, Winship. An absolutely great name, don't you think? I loved seeing Winship in December and appreciated her support and her wry humor in the midst of all the drama. I want to spend some time with her, talking about old times, the Carvers, and her Judgeship in Juvenile Court. All subjects dear to my heart. Don't get me started about the Carvers! Our families were close friends. I've thought for years that our mothers met in the hospital when they were having Mary and Ellen but I'm not sure that is accurate. Anyway, I loved spending time with them when I was little and Mom always passed on news of them over the years. One of the first pictures I posted on this blog, in honor of Sam Carver, was taken at their house on Thanksgiving in the late 60's. They had a beautiful old home with wood floors a couple of blocks from the ocean, on 54th Street, I believe. They had eight children to our seven and wonderful parents. Mary Cary Carver, Jake's maternal grandmother, was an amazing woman - so warm and funny and always made me feel so welcome in their home. A very special person. I'd love to have some pictures of her for my collection.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts