My Favorite Poem


Poetry goes completely against my grain.  Way, way too few words employed.  This one, though, found in a small notebook that belonged to my mother, speaks to me.  It perfectly expresses a priceless and intangible element in only the rarest of friendships and one for which I yearn.

I framed this one for such a friend.  (Don't worry, siblings, I haven't absconded with the original. This is a copy.  It's for Tricia.)

My photograph renders the poem illegible.  Add good, new camera to the list of items I can't find. And, my credit card.  It's a replacement card for one I threw away at Burger King last year.  And, my driver's license has been expired for almost a year.  I'm sort of a bumbling, careless fool.


Friendship

Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible
comfort of feeling safe with a person, 
Having neither to weigh thoughts, 
Nor measure words - but pouring them 
All right out - just as they are - 
Chaff and grain together - 
Certain that a faithful hand will
Take and sift them - 
Keep what is worth keeping - 
And with the breath of kindness
Blow the rest away.

Comments

Popular Posts