The Great Enterprise

I've always wanted to tackle or, more accurately, dissect and discuss, the Royal Family's famed June 1791 attempted escape from what was essentially captivity in the Tuileries Palace in Paris.  The topic has seemed too large for me to do it justice, but I have a new book that's so fascinating that my already tenuous hold on my mental health pretty much depends upon me getting this all out of my head.

So, plan is:  I'll take it chapter by chapter and just write at will.  I'll think of my new project as "The Great Enterprise" which is how the escape plan is referred to on the night of the departure by Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, Comte and Comtesse de Provence when they met for dinner hours before they set off.

Lenôtre also wrote Paris in the Revolution which, I've mentioned, includes detailed, very detailed, descriptions of places and situations.  His quest for exactitude absolutely speaks to my soul.  I so need to understand EXACTLY.  It's a little quirk I have.  So, I'm totally psyched to be reading primary source details about the flight to (rather, that prematurely ended in) Varennes and the prospect of recording them here.  Maybe then I'll be able to sleep at night.







Comments

Popular Posts