Jackpot?

We bought some old letters at Les Puces, a big flea market in Paris. I bought this one because I liked the seal, but realized when I got home that it's dated Year 9, 12 Prairiale which is June 1, 1801 on the French Revolution Calendar, raising the cool factor of my find. Also, the word "Egalite" which, as you know, is from the Revolution banner phrase, means "Equality," is in the address. It seems to be written by a woman named Burthin, which I'd love to think is Rose Bertin, Marie Antoinette's seamstress. So close, yet so far away. Micah's boyfriend is, conveniently, a French teacher (a teacher of the French language, that is), my friend Danielle is a native French speaker, and my cousin Nathalie lives in Versailles and is fluent in French. Hopes are high for a translation. Preferably one proving that I've hit the jackpot. Not that I could sell my little letter with the broken seal.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts