Pretending to be Rose Bertin

We had a contest at work in which participants had to decorate their classroom/office door in the theme of a chosen country. Normally, I don't sign up for contests and especially try to avoid participating in anything that involves a deadline, but I jumped at the chance to honor Marie Antoinette. France was already taken, so I signed up to do Austria. I spent a small fortune at the scrapbook and fabric stores and spent all weekend planning, making little fact sheets about Marie Antoinette and Austria. I even had tiny cakes with a sign that said "She didn't say 'Let them eat cake'" -- in case the judges were hungry :). Danielle and I magically transformed Micah's old prom dress into an 18th century masterpiece. I was so excited that I sincerely hugged the display as if it were Marie Antoinette herself. I'm telling you, I'm getting weird. Today, the big day, I rushed to school, early, in the rain, to decorate my door - made several trips to the car to bring stuff in, even bothering to use an umbrella, which I never do, so as to keep my treasures dry. Not only was all this wrapped up in my complicated France/my mother/Marie Antoinette issues, but I was so proud of the dress and thought that, finally, people at work would see me get something right. That's another story, but trust me: there's a little ground to be made up. Let's just say that some people may have taken my self-deprecating humor at face value. And there may have been, from time to time, concrete evidence of my having a slight tendency towards disorganization. Just occasionally. So, anyway, today was my big chance to Wow them and redeem myself. I was basking in the glory of my creation, when towards the end of the school day, the front desk receptionist calls me and tells me, hesitantly, as if I were a fragile half-wit, that a student had noticed a car in the parking lot that was left running. All day. And, it was, you guessed it, mine. I guess I just jumped out of the car and ran to the building, clutching Marie Antoinette, and left the car running. And then went back to get more stuff and didn't notice it running. So, I won the prize. Not the door decorating prize. The other prize. The less coveted one.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Debe said…
You are just adorable! I have always thought that and will take anyone down who disses you again. Just let me know who and when!!
Anonymous said…
I think you are amazing!! I love that story! By the way, your writing is delightful and I could not ask for a better friend so Off with their heads!( I know it's Alice in Wonderland but you know the guillottine!!!) ~Danielle
Unknown said…
I would have given you the prize! i loved the dress and cakes- very creative!!! as for the car story - def sounds like something i would do- oh wait i have.... :)
Micah said…
hahahahahaha

That made my day.
Micah said…
This is Micah, not my class. They would never agree to read a text that long.
Micah Bug,
You just haven't been presenting them the right reading material. How about if I make a To Ms. Doak's class section? You can tell me the subject you're studying and I'll write about it!
kimmy coleslaw said…
I'm laughing out loud !!! So as to make you feel better, my stepdad once left his car running at the airport after he and my mother were running late for a plane. Stopped at curbside checkin - and in the excitement and confusion checked in and left the car running. Of course my mother would never admit to this, somehow it was all Denny's fault even though she was with him !!! Needless to say - the car was towed when they arrived home a week later. You crack me up - your dress and cakes were fabulous. XO
I have one friend, busy with a husband, five children and a zillion friends, who left one of her kids at a rest stop; turned on her dryer with a cat sleeping in it - it died; unknowingly left her dog in the car, in the heat, with a very bad result; and left one of her kids overnight in her car seat accidently - she and her husband carried kids in after arriving home one night... thought they had them all... didn't. I could tell stories about her all day long!

Popular Posts