Martha and Richie

I had the nicest surprise last month. It was nice once I got over the shock of an unexpected visitor. (For further reference, I need at least two days notice before you drop in to see me. Time enough to GMST. That's an acronym for Clare.)I looked out my front window to see our old friend, Richie, striding up the front walk. My life flashed before my eyes, not unlike it's said to do as your airplane plunges to the ground, but once I accustomed myself to the realization that there was no avoiding it, I opened the door. It was so fantastic to see him! Terry and I met Rich and Martha in a childbirth class before our first children, David and Jennifer, were born. Martha is one of my dearest friends in the world and I treasure the times we've spent together. This picture was taken when David was a couple of days old and six weeks before Jen was born. It's a well-known fact that those of early childhood are formative years, particularly for the parents!, so the bond we made, then, has lasted for 25 years, even though they moved back to Ohio in 1988. They've come to visit a few times, but it's been awhile. Terry, Richie and I went to Los Cucos, to a TWHS play-off basketball game at which, reflecting the amazingness of the night, it snowed. Also, Rich and I went to dinner at Black Walnut and, because it's the only kind possible at Black Walnut, had a great deep conversation. My favorite kind. It was like talking to a favorite brother.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts