Marie Antoinette Prayer Table in the Conciergerie

Posted by Picasa24th August (1793)
Letter from Axel Fersen to Sophie Piper, illustrating his frustration that, despite all his efforts, the Queen's situation worsens : "You doubtless know, my dear Sophie, by this time, the dreadful news of the Queen having been moved into the prison of the Conciergerie, and of the decree of the execrable Convention which delivers her to the revolutionary tribunal for trial. Since this, I have been more dead than alive, for to suffer as I suffer is not to live. If I could yet do something towards her deliverance, I think I should suffer less. Taube will tell the only hope that remains to us and what I have asked. Immediate march on Paris is the only thing to do. But I remain uncertain whether this plan will be adopted and followed. Oh, the horror of having to save her and I am unable to do it! My greatest happiness would be to die for her, and that happiness is refused me. Oh, if only the cowardly ruffians had not deprived me of the best of Kings. How I feel the extent of my loss at this moment! he alone would have been capable of saving her. His great soul would have been fired with the story of her ills, and he would have dared everything to come to her help. But he is no more, and the last hope dies with him. Adieu, my dear Sophie. Pray to God for her and pity your unhappy brother." The King to whom Fersen refers is Gustavas III of Sweden, a supporter of the Queen and friend of Fersen's. He had recently been assassinated at a masked ball. Another interesting story - something to do with a rivalry between sorcerers and witches with whom he was involved...

Comments

Popular Posts