Fall reminds me of Cheatham Annex

Cheatham Annex seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere but was really part of Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. Our times there have already been described, on my blog, but one thing that may have been omitted is that we were fishing off the dock and Mary discovered, for the first time, that fishing sometimes kills fish. She didn't take the revelation well. On occasion pictured, we shared a cabin with the Brady children and their mother, Louise - fellow POW family that lived in King's Grant. L-R Richard Brady, my little brother Michael, Richard's younger sister (her name is dancing somewhere near the edge of my memory), my little sister Mary and me. Tell me there wasn't a tv in that cabin. Two of those kids look hypnotized by something. My tan and haircut look pretty cute, though. Mom said it made me look like Twiggy :). Remember Twiggy? She's aged well, by the way... she was a judge on one of those reality shows - the modeling one with Tyra Banks. Only saw it in passing. Not a reality show fan. Watch a lot of Cold Case Detectives and American Justice, though.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny to open up your blog today and see your reference to Chetam Annex. I drove past it yesterday on my way to UVA for a football game and I soon as I saw the sign I instantly think of your family! I have very fond memories of my time with your family there. I remember too being fascinated by your brothers "heated discussion" around the kitchen table - I remember thinking how smart they all were, being the oldest sib I wasn't surrounded yet by such passion. It was a wonderful time and a wonderful memory. Love to all.
Kim, you check this blog more than anyone! Weell, really I read it the most! I open it up and read what I wrote, as if I hadn't written it myself! And, if I'm really lucky, what someone else wrote. Thank you so much for posting messages. It's great to find them. I htink of you every time I think of Cheatham Annex. In fact, you're a part of a whole lot of my childhood, family memories. It's wonderful that we're still friends. One of those, who'd-a-thought kinds of things. It's fun to hear your perspective and memories. I'm going to call you this weekend...

Popular Posts