The Intervention of the Women of Sabine

The Intervention of the Women of Sabine by Jacques-Louis David, is in the Louvre. Mom knew all about his works and I clearly remember her telling Mary, Micah and me about this scene when we saw it in March of 2000. I think she said that it took place in early Rome. It may depict a scene from a literary work, rather than a scene from history. If I'm remembering the story correctly, one army abducted the women of another army, and the women married the captors, had children with them. Then the men who had had their wives, sisters and daughters stolen from them went to battle with the army who had stolen and subsequently married the women. The painting depicts the battle between the two armies with the women, in the middle, children at their feet, trying to keep the armies (one army of their husbands and sons and the other an army of their fathers and brothers) apart. Even the children are fighting. I'm not sure why I like the painting so much. The story is interesting but, mostly, I'm amazed that a human being could paint something so magnificent. The painting is gigantic (12' 8" x 17' 3/4") and it took the artist almost 4 years. You oughta see it in real life! Much better than the one I got off the internet! Maybe Don can post something about this. I think he and Mom discussed this kind of thing frequently. She said some of the paintings we saw were from The Iliad or The Odyssey. Was this one of them?

Comments

Micah said…
I could very easily be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the painting is a portrayal of the Rape of the Sabine Women, which was a story told in ancient Rome and carried on as part of the mythical formation of the empire. 'Rape' is meant as an abduction, and Romulus was involved in the story, and as he was Rome's mythical founder, I seriously doubt the story itself is true. I agree this is an amazing painting - definitely one of my favorites.
Ah, contraire, un petit fille! This is The Intervention of the Women of Sabine. There is, however, a sculpture named the Rape of the Sabine Women which I'd never heard of but just saw on Wikipedia. It's actually kind of disturbing-looking compared to this painting. You're right, though, they both have something to do with ancient Rome and Romulus. Was Rome named after Romulus? You're my favorite little European travel-mate. Maybe we should go this summer, yes?
grandydenton said…
I don't know much about history, but the painting sort of reminds me of some of the old "Denton Olympic" events which featured Jerry, Peyton and I competing fiercly in various sporting events..The wives and kids were in the middle trying to keep things from getting out of hand..It was wild, but fortunately, they never had to call 911...Uncle Leo

Popular Posts