Il Pleut!

"Il pleut" is one of the few phrases I remember from my quest to learn the French language before Barbara and I went to Paris last year. That one plus two or three others were the extent of it. It came in handy when I was able to text Danielle (whose native language is French, yet I've never managed to beat her at Words with Friends) this morning when it rained. Texas is having a huge drought caused by a La Nina effect. I'm not sure what that means, but do know that La Nina es muy mal. Just thought I'd show off that I'm tri-lingual. We've only had 10" since last October which is practically nothing by normal standards. Everything is brown and wildfires were raging practically at my back door last week. Well, technically it was more like 15 miles, but I could see and smell the smoke and was irrationally terrified. It may not have been irrational since 1500 homes burned up in the fire in Bastrop as an out of control fire devoured more than 50 square miles about 15 miles from where David lives in Austin. My car trunk is stuffed with family photos, letters, my mom's diaries, computer's external hard drive, gifts from Terry, favorite items belonging to my children, some of my Marie Antoinette/French Revolution books (not the ones in which I'm currently reading, but I know just where they are, in case I have to grab them on the way out.) I'm thrilled to see today's rain even though it's not the rain in this picture. The picture was taken on the George Washington Bridge as Micah and I passed over it en route to Boston a couple of summers ago.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

La Jeune Captive said…
¿La Niña es muy malA?

¿El Niño es muy malO?

My native language is Spanish Mme. Madeleine. That´s the only reason I know most words are either femenine or masculine.

Just like another Romance language, Italian is the same thing.

BravA when you praise a woman.

BravO when you praise a man.

I wonder if the French language has the same silliness! So impractical!

That´s why I love your language so much!

I also love your blog. Thank you so much for reading this.
I stand corrected! Thanks for pointing it out. I should've known that. I love Spanish - the clipped, crisp sound of it. It's much less embarrassing to try to speak Spanish than French. I feel like a pretentious fool when I try to pronounce French words! Thanks again for commenting and buenas dias.
La Jeune Captive said…
Every time you´re struggling with your pronunciation when in France, the French should be delighted!!

If it were not for the mightiness and generosity of your country during World WarII, you would be trying to speak German when in that beautiful land of the Gauls.

BuenOs dias(dia or dias are masculine)
I think we are generous and, I guess, mighty, and hope other countries see it that way. Not usually, I don't think. Thanks for the compliment. On the other hand, if not for the French (contributing much to Louis XVI's eventual problems,) we'd be speaking, um.... English. With a cooler accent!

Popular Posts