Count Fersen's service in the American Revolution

Posted by Picasa
Count Axel Fersen served as General Rochambeau's aide-de-camp and interpreter during the American Revolution. He distinguished himself in the Battle of Yorktown in Sept. and Oct., 1781. On April 25, 1782, he wrote to his sister, Sophie: "We are still in this wretched little hole of Williamsburg, where we are bored to death. There is no society at all, and it begins to be very hot. With the greatest impatience we await Lauzun's return, which is to be the signal of our departure. Whether we go farther south, as we fear, or farther north, as we hope, will be decided when he comes. I must conclude, for despite the heat, I must go out to work." This was a man accustomed to the castles of his youth and being feted in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles, so some latitude for his whining might be in order. On the other hand, my dad's letters from the Hanoi Hilton were more upbeat. I shouldn't be judgemental. It's just that I love Williamsburg, probably even more than France. I've never known it without air conditioning, though.


Comments

Popular Posts