Namama's house?

My great-grandmother, Madeleine Clitherall Jones, lived on Old Shell Road, at Spring Hill, in Mobile. This picture is one in our family collection. Is it Namama's house? I've been to the house but, true to form, I only remember the food. She had caramels, in plastic wrapping, in a bowl in the living room. My only first-hand memory of my great-grandmother. She lived to be 104 years old, thus setting me up for the idea that Maury women live forever and that age 81 was not-quite-the-onset-of-senior-citizenship. Eventually the property was sold, the house torn down and apartments were built where the house had stood. Spanish Villa apartments... where my mother's mother lived in her later years and where my parents had an apartment "in town". Surely they'd rather have stayed in Namama's house. It's too bad she sold it. Remember... "land is the only thing that lasts, Katie Scarlett". At work, I have a poster of Spring Hill College so I can look up and think of Mobile and all it's meant to my family.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Mike Denton said…
Just doing some late night family work and your blog came up in a google search! Your story of The Big House drew up a deep early memory of going there and being ushered to the right side den or sitting room where we had sandwiches. You must not have disclosed the candy bowl to your little brother. But I better recall later when Nammama was near 100 years old and still dishing ice cream to school children passing homeward by her small home at Springhill, just north of the McGregor intersection, nearer or at where Maurney later lived.

Popular Posts