Thanksgiving1983 - The River

This picture is a classic. It's always evoked a lot of feeling in me. For one thing, it was taken when I'd just found out I was pregnant with David but I hadn't told anyone. I love the way Mary and I look alike and that Marilyn and her girls are in it. It had been so great to be with them at Thanksgiving. I love the way Mimi looks so noble and Irene looks so sweet. I've always thought of this picture as "The Matriarchs." I still get emotional when I see it but now, along with the love I feel for each of these women, is a sadness because, last October, I was holding this picture in my hand, getting ready to make a scrapbook page with it when the phone rang. I ran to get the phone with the picture still in my hand (normally, I don't even pick up the house phone because friends and family mostly call my cell) and picked it up to hear Jerry's worried voice telling me that Mom had had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Left to right - Katie, me, Irene (Dad's mother), Mom, Mimi (Mom's mother), Mary, baby Caroline and Marilyn. Sorry to start my new post on a sad note but that's the way it is. (One other truth is that Mom's hairstyle, in this picture, has always bugged me! There. I don't have to end my post on a sad note.)

Comments

Unknown said…
I love reading your blog as always. I think you are an excellent writer. I have seen that picture several places and I love how you describe the people in it! Reading your blog makes me realize our family did not spend much time in Mobile visiting like the rest of you did and I wished we had!

Popular Posts