Texas - about 1950

Isn't this a great picture? Mignon looks like an angel in this shot that Uncle Leo me of he and Aunt Mignon, little Leo and Irene with my paternal grandfather in Texas. My grandfather, whom I saw so infrequently that I didn't have a grandfather name for him (my mom and I talked about him pretty often but just referred to him as "Dad's Dad"), lived in Spring Texas, only a few miles from where I live now and owned and operated an establishment of some sort out in the country. Judging from the background of this picture which I believe was taken out there, it was pretty successful. I think it had a swimming pool and a restaurant. Uncle Leo might want to add his two cents on this one since he's been there and since Uncle Leo is a regular contributor to my blog, making him very importanttomadeleine! Dad's Dad was married to a woman who, after he died, moved to Lubbock to live with her daughter. Terry is from Lubbock and we went out to eat and visited her home there right after we got married. All I remember about that is that her home was kind of dark and had brocade-y type material in it. I don't even remember what we ate there which is unusual for me!

Comments

grandydenton said…
Madeleine, this is one of my favorite pictures in the world..It is my dad, Mignon and me, and Leo Jr. and Irene..Actually, it was taken in the late 1950s at Mirror Lake Country Club, my dad's ( your grandfather ) place that he built in Spring Texas...He bought the property with no money, made a down payment somehow a few days later by cutting down a few of the many trees on the land and selling them..In the area that he cleared, he built a lake and stocked it with bass ( green trout ) and fresh water catfish..Then he built a swimming pool and opened up Mirror Lake Country Club..He sold memberships quickly and operated a very nice place where families could go and have fun, just a few miles north of Houston..Mignon and I helped him with the club on weekends..We really did enjoy ourselves and the members did too..My dad had lots of friends in Houston, rich and poor..I didn't see much of him when I was young but I am very thankful to have spent almost 10 years in Texas with him, and getting to know, respect and love him very much..
More about him and Houston later...Uncle Leo
grandydenton said…
Like you wrote, Mignon looked like an angel..There is a reason for that..LOL !!!! I think she was an angel, sent by God to straighten me out, sorta like your mom, Jane, who also was an angel..I am sure of that...Uncle Leo

Popular Posts