Alcatraz Gang

As I write, Dad and his Alcatraz brotherhood are together. They, the elite of the elite in terms of POW resistance and leadership, which earned them the right to sit in a tiny, dark cell, solitary confinement - isolated and alone for what must've seemed an eternity, are having a reunion in Virginia. This is a picture of a few of the less than a dozen Alcatraz men. Left to right - George Coker, (Congressman) Sam Johnson, Mrs. Johnson, Louise Mulligan, Jim Mulligan, Micah, Dad, George McKnight and Mrs. McKnight. This was taken at a POW reunion in Dallas ten or 12 years ago. Even though, I've never been around these men very much, they're family. George McKnight and George Coker attempted an escape, one of the things that landed them in Alcatraz. Within a few months of the POWs return, some of us were treated to a week at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC courtesy of Ross Perot. At dinner one night, I drank a few Mai Tais, and flirted with George Coker like an idiot. He must've been horrified. Barely out of a POW camp and some sixteen year old throwing herself at him. One form of torture to another. Can you blame me though? Look how cute he is! I saw him at Mom's funeral. Still cute! And, Jim Mulligan is one of my favorite people ever. Good-natured, funny, Irish Catholic, big family whose boys went to Norfolk Catholic. Louise was a big part of the Wives group. The first time I laid eyes on Capt. Mulligan was in the hall of the floor reserved for the POWs at Portsmouth Naval Hospital a day or so after the men were released. He stopped me to tell me he'd watched me grow up. He was Dad's roommate (not in Alcatraz years, where they had no roommate, but during part of the some of the other years) and was probably the perfect match for him. The night of Mom's funeral, it was he who stood up and supported Dad when he needed it. No one else could've done it so well. The men are at a horse race in Richmond right now, arranged by Michael. Katherine went to Dad's house a few days ago and fixed it up all- fresh flowers, coolers of drinks, rearranged the furniture, made it welcoming, as she does so well, for this special group. I hope they're having a wonderful time this weekend, full of renewal and friendship.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

S. said…
Aha! Mai tais at the age of 16! That tells me a lot Maddie! Love the pic and journaling. ~S.

Popular Posts