Old times, they are not forgotten

These are my paternal grandparents, Irene and Jeremiah Andrew Denton (the 1st). They divorced, he moved to Texas and remarried. The word I think of when I remember Irene is "sweet". Not a very original word but the one that comes to mind first. She was fortunate to live close to her son, Leo, and his wife, Mignon, and their children. I hope they'll send me some stories about their times together. Irene passed away on June 10, 1995 when she was 92. I didn't see my grandfather many times but have been told he was a charming, gregarious man who liked to play poker. My mother visited him when he was older and ill and said he spoke of Irene to her and that she believes he always loved her. He died when I was a child in Virginia and is buried about 20 minutes from where I now live, in Texas.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello out there !!!! This is a test...I am trying to post for the first time...Once I learn how, O will be a frequent poster...This is the first time I have seen this picture of my father and mother...Yes, I have many stories about my father and mother and will be happy to share some in the future...Bye for now, Leo Denton Sr./ Uncle Leo/ Dad/ Grandy
Anonymous said…
LOL !!!! Looks like I successfully posted my first comment on a blog, a historical moment for me, or should I say hysterical, since I clicked anonymous...LOL !!!! I am determined to do this right someday...At least you all know I am trying...LOL !!!! Love to all, Leo/ Uncle Leo/ Dad/ Grandy
grandydenton said…
Here I am again...My son Tom has helped me do this blog posting correctly...So I will be posting often...Madeleine, I love your blogging, especially the pictures...Keep up the good work....Love to all, Grandy
grandydenton said…
Madeleine, it was interesting to learn you now live a short distance from Houston..As you may know, Mignon and I lived in Houston for about 10 years..I attended the University of Houston and graduated with a business administraton degree..Leo Jr., Irene, Bill, and Joe were born in Houston...I worked for my dad at Denton's Trading Post in north Houston and also Sears on Main Street in Houston..I was manager of the toy department..My dad bought some land in Spring Texas and founded Mirror Lake Country Club in Spring Texas..It was a great place to bring your family...The lake was full of bass (green trout) and freshwater catfish...He had a nice pool and a lot of nice folks from the Houston area were members...Before my dad died, he sold Mirror Lake Club and went into real estate in and around Spring Texas...This was his true calling and he was successful and happy in his later years...He was a great man, kind and generous to all...He had many friends in Texas, rich and poor...He was well known in business and political circles...Mignon and I were very close to my dad during these 10 years...We admired and loved him very much..Much more on my dad in future postings...Love to all, Uncle Leo/ Grandy

Popular Posts